Thursday, November 2, 2017

My queen is invisible #2

After a long period of queens behaving normally, I have now encountered two more opponents who gave up their queen to recapture a piece that's defended, for no apparent reason. If you recall, I had encountered two opponents in two days who had done exactly the same thing: use their queen to capture a piece as if the piece was hanging, but which was actually defended by my queen. I had therefore concluded that my queen is invisible, as anyone would.

In the first game below (played yesterday), the same scenario occurred: My opponent captured a piece with their queen, which was protected by my own queen. But in the second game (played today), there was a new twist: My opponent used their queen to capture a piece that was defended by my rook and not my queen! So there is nothing left for me to do but to revise my theory. I now think not that my queen is invisible, but perhaps that my opponents think their queen is invisible? Or maybe invincible? But I will need more games to figure this out.

In the meantime, I've added the category Eerie for this post and the earlier post, for the inexplicable phenomena that we encounter in chess.

In the first game (a 1-minute game on lichess.org), we reached this position after 15. ... h5:


For better or worse, here I decided to play 16. Qb1 to prevent Black from playing the advance d3 (I'm now X-raying that square). My opponent continued his play on the kingside with 16. ... h4, and I responded with 17. g4, preferring to keep things closed where my king is. And then my opponent decided to push his central pawn anyway and played 17. ... d3?:


And after 18. cxd3, my opponent simply played 18. ... Qxd3?? 19. Qxd3.

In the second game (also a 1-minute game on lichess.org), my opponent just made a mistake with 10. ... Bd6?:


This allows me to win a piece with the simple tactic 11. e5 Bxe5 12. Nxe5 Nxe5 13. Bxe5:


And here, my opponent clicked on his invisible queen (or so we think) and played 13. ... Qxe5?? 14. Rxe5.

Both games are available here: 



No comments: